***** If all of the pictures do not appear, refresh the screen or hit F5 *****


This is what the bathroom looked like when we first moved in. It was in pretty good shape and was very clean. However, the pipes for the toilet, sink and bathtub needed to be replaced. There was also a cracked joist under the subfloor that had to be repaired. The drop-ceiling above the bathtub will be demolished.

Everything you see is going to be demolished. The area by the light switch and toilet paper dispenser is going to be converted into a bathroom closet.

The baseboard heater is going to be replaced with a radiator from the hallway. The insulation in the hallway is another project.

Demolition begins! I hauled about 10,000 pounds of debris from this bathroom to the local dump.

The drop-ceiling is gone and so is the tile.

The sink, mirror and wood paneling were removed. The light/fan is the only item that is going to stay. We will put it back up after we replace the ceiling. It was the first thing we bought for the bathroom and we thought it was going to be the only thing that we were going to update in the bathroom. We were very wrong.

The toilet, tub and subfloor are next to go. I removed the tub by using a sledge hammer and breaking it into tiny 90-pound pieces...

The subfloor and toilet are gone. The old toilet and sink pipes are going to be replaced.

The old bathtub drain pipe is going to be replaced.

The cracked joist under the drain pipe is going to be repaired.

We installed a new subfloor and new pipes and fittings for everything.

A view from below. Extra support was added to the joists to provide a firm base for the marble floors.

New pipes for the toilet.

New pipes for the sink.

New pipes for the shower and handheld. A Grohe diverter was installed for the shower and the handheld.

New pipes for the bath faucet.

The old wood and old insulation under the window are going to be replaced.

New wood and new insulation underneath.

More new wood.

The ceiling was removed.

The room across the hallway was also being renovated.

New drywall on the ceiling.

The existing 2x4 was used as part of the framing for the bathroom closet.

New drywall around the toilet and sink pipes.

New drywall around the medicine cabinet frame.

The framing for the medicine cabinet.

The other side of the bathroom wall.

The tile backerboard is installed and subway tile is applied to the back wall.

The rest of the subway tile is applied. Soap dishes will be installed in the 2 areas with no tile.

Before tile grout and fixtures.

After tile grout and fixtures.

Before tile grout and fixtures.

After tile grout and fixtures.

The soap dishes were installed.

The bathtub area is finished.

Drywall was installed next to the tile backerboard.

More drywall and spackle.

Starting to build the closet.

The closet's interior walls were installed.

The closet's exterior walls were installed.

We applied 2 coats of primer.

We applied 2 coats of paint.

The mirror and light switch were installed.

Halfway there!

Ready for the marble floor. The pipes on the floor on the right are for the radiator heater.

Marble floor was installed.

Grout was applied.

The sink and cabinet were installed along with the chair rail molding.

New pipes and hoses.

The cabinet was fitted into the baseboard molding.

Wainscoting was installed on the lower half of the bathroom walls. We set the height so that the chair rail molding that topped off the wainscoting could be used as a splash guard for the back of the sink.

We used a long piece of wood instead of bullnose subway tile for the transition from the bathtub area to the sink area.

It looks much better after it's primed and painted.

More wainscoting was installed.

Baseboard molding was installed.

Wainscoting was installed on the other wall.

Chair rail and baseboard molding were installed.

Before the chair rail and window trim.

After the chair rail and window trim.

The wainscoting and moldings are ready to be painted (after we fill the nail holes).

A new shower curtain rod was installed.

The closet doors were installed. The gold hinges are going to be replaced with chrome ones.

The shelves were installed.

Baseboard molding was installed in the closet.

The shelves were removed and stained.

The toilet before it was installed.

The closet doors were removed and painted.

Molding was installed around the closet door. The door hinges are now chrome.

The rest of the wainscoting and chair rail molding were installed.

The rest of the baseboard molding was also installed.

The bathroom closet is finished.

All of the trim, moldings and wainscoting were painted.

The toilet was installed.

New toilet paper dispenser.

The radiator was installed.

It was originally in the hallway but we didn't need one there.

It's also a great towel warmer.

It was refinished and looks like new.

The closet door knobs were installed.

All of the doors on the second floor were as old as the house - over 130 years old! They were very thin and had many coats of paint on them. We decided to restore all of them instead of purchasing new ones. It took one day just to sand one side of one door. This is a picture of the bathroom door after it was sanded to the bare wood and primed.

The old hardware on the old doors were beyond restoration so we had to purchase new hardware. RestorationHardware.com had just what we needed. These were as close to the original door hardware we could find. They were installed on all of the doors.

The bathroom door was painted and the new door hardware was installed.

Door and crown molding were installed.

More crown molding.

A new towel rack was installed.

Window shutters were installed.

We picked the fabric and Tina's mom spent weeks sewing the shower curtain for us.

The fabric was hand-embroidered crewel.

Shower curtain tied back.

And finally... the garbage can.


***** If all of the pictures do not appear, refresh the screen or hit F5 *****